It happens a lot. People experience some kind of an injury and need the help of an Attorney. So who do they call? Sadly, it is often the name they read on the billboard, bus bench or saw on an advertisement during a morning talk show. The client is told what they can get and how things will proceed (ideally), but of course, we don’t live in an ideal world. We don’t doubt the ability of other attorneys who are licensed to practice law, we just know that when it comes to personal injury matters it is important to get the attorney that is right for you.
So how do you wade through all the advertisements, slick marketing pieces and voices that come at you all hours of the day and night telling you to call them? How do you know they are right for you? The best way, in our opinion, is to schedule an appointment and interview them. When you do, here is a list of questions they should be able to answer satisfactorily.
1. What kind of cases do you predominately try? Make sure they are a specialist in the arena of law that you need. There is no sense letting someone who is inexperienced use you as their first case.
2. Would you rather settle a case or go to trial? It’s hard to believe, but there are some attorneys who haven’t seen a courtroom in years. Sometimes that is due to the fact that they would rather have the client settle out of court. Ask them how many cases, like yours, they have personally tried recently.
3. Are you a soul practitioner or do you have a team backing you up? This is a resource question. Make sure they have the backing to do battle during trial.
4. How long have you been practicing law and how did you get started?
5. What are the financial arrangements? How will you and I get paid? Some attorney’s will only take your case if they believe they can win it and thus they will be working on a contingency basis. Also, ask them about court costs etc., should you not prevail inyour case.
Most of all trust yourself when interviewing an attorney. If they have poor communication skills or a poor attitude with you, there is a good chance that they will carry that into the courtroom too.
As always you can call us at 844-847-8300 with any of your Personal Injury questions.