During a motorcycle accident, motorcyclists can fly from their vehicle and scrape their exposed skin across pavement or concrete. This can cause an abrasion wound called road rash through friction and heat buildup. Road rash can lead to symptoms like intense pain, bleeding, fluid draining, and body aches.
Motorcycle accident victims can file claims to hold liable parties accountable for causing the accident through negligent behavior. A motorcycle accident lawyer can help victims determine the cost of road rash injury damages. At The Russo Firm, our motorcycle accident lawyers have decades of experience helping victims recover compensation for damages caused by injuries like road rash.
What is Road Rash?
Road rash is one of the most common motorcycle accident injuries when a victim scrapes their skin against concrete or pavement. It occurs when friction from rubbing against a hard, coarse surface causes a person’s skin to rub away. The force of the friction is stronger than the skin’s stretching ability. It can cause the skin to tear and result in significant symptoms.
The following are some of the symptoms of road rash:
- Intense pain
- Swelling and redness
- Warmth in the body parts affected
- Body aches
Different Types of Road Rash Injuries
This type of motorcycle accident injury can come in many forms. What type of road rash injury you suffer depends on how deep the scrape is and how many layers of skin tear away. The kind of road rash you suffer can affect the severity of the injury, what symptoms you may suffer, and what medical treatment can heal the damage.
The following are the three different types of road rash injuries:
- Avulsion road rash: This is the most common type of road rash that leads to the scraping of the top layer of skin. It’s considered less severe than other road rashes but can expose the bones, muscles, and fat to damage.
- Open wound road rash: This road rash injury involves the full tearing away of the skin tissue. It may require stitches or a skin graft to heal.
- Compression road rash: This results from a body part trapping between two hard objects. The friction can cause road rash, with compression leading to broken bones and muscle damage.
Road Rash Injuries Have Different Degrees of Severity
Much like burn injuries, road rash injuries can come in varying degrees of severity. How severe the injury is can affect the level of pain it can cause and whether medical treatment is more urgent. After a motorcycle accident that causes a road rash injury, you should go to the hospital to allow a healthcare professional to determine the severity of your injury and begin administering treatment.
The following are the degrees of severity for a road rash injury:
- First-degree road rash: This is a minor road rash injury that only affects the outer layer of the skin and can cause redness and scrapes.
- Second-degree road rash: This type of road rash shreds down to the lower layers of the skin and causes swelling, bleeding, scarring, and possible damage to the muscles, nerves, and tendons.
- Third-degree road rash: This severe road rash tears away all of the skin layers and can lead to an infection. It can expose the bones and muscles to damage, leading to excessive bleeding, permanent scarring, and disfigurement.
What Should You Do After Suffering a Road Rash Injury from a Motorcycle Accident?
After a motorcycle accident, the victim may not know what to do. They can be confused after an unexpected motorcycle accident that causes a road rash injury. They will be dealing with significant pain from the severe injury and may wonder how they will pay for the damages caused by the accident. There are steps motorcycle accident victims should take to report the accident, receive medical treatment, and put themselves in a position to recover compensatory damages.
The following are some steps you should take after a motorcycle accident that causes road rash:
- Collect evidence at the scene of the motorcycle accident
- Exchange contact information with those involved
- File a police report
- Go to the hospital to receive medical treatment
- Speak to your insurance provider
- Gather important documentation
- Write down what you remember from the motorcycle accident
- Gire a motorcycle accident lawyer
What Damages Can You Pursue for a Road Rash Injury?
Motorcycle accident victims who suffer road rash can experience significant damages that can affect them financially and psychologically. They will have to receive medical treatment to heal the severe injury and may miss time from work while recovering. A motorcycle accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation for economic damages.
You can also pursue compensation for non-economic damages that reflect how your road rash injury affects your quality of life. Motorcycle accident victims may have to endure physical and mental pain and suffering as they deal with the fallout of their motorcycle accidents. The psychological effect of a motorcycle accident can lead to feelings of depression and anxiety that lead to alienation from friends, family, and society.
The following are some of the road rash damages you could pursue compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
- Loss of society
- Loss of consortium/companionship
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help You Recover Compensation for Road Rash Damages?
Motorcycle accidents are ordinarily caused by negligent driving behaviors from other automobile drivers, such as distracted driving, speeding, and reckless driving. If a party caused the motorcycle accident through negligence, the victim could file a motorcycle accident claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company to hold them accountable for damages.
An essential step in the motorcycle accident claims process is hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer. They have the experience in litigating these claims that can help put you in a position to recover fair compensatory damages. Some ways they can help include assessing the true cost of your damages, determining the at-fault party, collecting evidence, and negotiating a settlement with the liable party’s insurer.
Contact The Russo Firm for Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
At The Russo Firm, our motorcycle accident lawyers have decades of experience helping victims recover compensation for damages. We understand the physical, financial, and emotional fallout of a severe injury like road rash.
We will work with you to craft a personalized legal counsel plan that can give you the best chance of recovering fair compensatory damages. Contact The Russo Firm today for a free case evaluation at (561) 270-0913 or leave a message on our online contact page.